The Maine Red Claws is a member of the National Basketball Association Development League, the official minor league of the NBA.
If your goal is a career in professional sports; marketing, administration, public relations or recreation, you have made the right decision to contact us. Interns will acquire practical knowledge through hands-on experience and gain invaluable skills necessary to compete for jobs in the sports industries when their program is completed.
Although each internship position with the Red Claws differs in its responsibilities, all positions will participate in various Marketing/Community activities. All interns will be asked to perform mascot appearances as needed and all interns that are with the Maine Red Claws during the season will be required to attend all home games.
The Red Claws regular season schedule is 24 games from late November through early April with the possible addition of preseason or postseason games.
Community Relations Internship
The community relations intern will assist in the advancement of brand recognition through the
coordination and execution of outreach into the local community. This includes schools, non-profit organizations and other area businesses.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with game night responsibilities including:
- Accompanying of Make-A-Wish children or other guests
- Assisting PR intern at credentials table pregame
- Assisting with administration of game night 50/50 charitable fundraising program
- Maintain and direct the team mascot's schedule, including scheduling intern coverage (mascot and escort)
- Assist with regularly scheduled player autograph sessions
- Assist with fulfillment of charitable donation requests
- Accompany players, mascot and/or dancers to appearances
- Maintenance of community files
- Track philanthropic outreach.
- Assist with planning, implementation and staffing of charitable events
- Attend public events and represent company including appearing as mascot.
- General CR office duties
- Junior or Senior in college
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word, HTML knowledge helpful
- Journalism, Sport Management, Public Relations, Communications or related major preferred
- Desire to work in community relations in professional sports or for a nonprofit
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to work at a fast pace
- Strong sense of discretion and professional attitude
- Flexible schedule including game nights, some days and weekends, including non-game days
- Must have access to a car & own laptop
You must formally apply for the internship program(s) of your choice by submitting your resume, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and application. Application packet is available at Maine Red Claws Internship Packet
Maine Red Claws
Attn: Sandra Brackett
PO Box 15180
Portland, Maine 04112