The Maine Red Claws is a member of the National Basketball Association Development League, the official minor league of the NBA.
If your goal is a career in professional sports; marketing, administration, public relations or recreation, you have made the right decision to contact us. Interns will acquire practical knowledge through hands-on experience and gain invaluable skills necessary to compete for jobs in the sports industries when their program is completed.
Although each internship position with the Red Claws differs in its responsibilities, all positions will participate in various Marketing/Community activities. All interns will be asked to perform mascot appearances as needed and all interns that are with the Maine Red Claws during the season will be required to attend all home games.
The Red Claws regular season schedule is 24 games from late November through early April with the possible addition of preseason or postseason games.
Public Relations Internship
The public relations intern will assist in the ongoing advancement of brand recognition through
the acquisition of earned media coverage and deployment of owned media into the marketplace. This opportunity is intended to help gain experience and knowledge in communications strategy, media relations, writing and media monitoring and reporting.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with game day responsibilities including:
- Writing, preparation and distribution of game notes and program inserts
- Assist with game night responsibilities including:
- Press box and room set-up and maintenance pre, during and post-game
- Distributing media credentials pregame
- Distribution of statistics and other materials
- Assisting media with any needs that arise
- Post-game web update
- Writing of game stories for program and web
- Proofreading of all written material, including press releases, game programs, game notes, web materials, etc.
- Maintenance of clip file and distribution of daily clips to Red Claws management and staff
- Maintenance of player and team files
- Accompany players, mascot and/or dancers to appearances
- Attend public events to represent company including appearing at events as mascot.
- General office duties and other duties as assigned by Director of Public Relations and Community Relations
- Junior or Senior in college
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- HTML and/or graphics knowledge very helpful but not required
- Journalism, Sport Management, Public Relations, Communications or related major preferred
- Desire to work in public relations in professional sports or in sports media
- Strong writing skills
- Strong knowledge of basketball
- Ability to multi-task work at a fast pace
- Have the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong sense of discretion and professional attitude
- Flexible schedule including game nights, some days and weekends, including non-game days
- Must have access to a car & own laptop
You must formally apply for the internship program(s) of your choice by submitting your resume, cover letter, unofficial transcript, and application. Application packet is available at Maine Red Claws Internship Packet
Maine Red Claws
Attn: Sandra Brackett
PO Box 15180
Portland, Maine 04112