Thornton Tomasetti’s Corporate Sustainability practice is seeking a Sustainability Intern to act as our “Carbon Master.”
The Intern will conduct carbon footprint analyses for the company’s 26 offices and will also assist with reporting the embodied carbon of the company’s structural engineering projects. This position is located in the vibrant Old Port of Portland, Maine and may involve travel.
Our program sets sustainability goals for practices and operations, manages the implementation, measures the progress, and publicly reports on what we are doing; these data inventories will be used to evaluate success at meeting the company’s sustainable office operations and practice goals.
- Responsible for researching key performance indicators to measure office sustainability performance.
- Gather data on sustainability indicators such as energy use, water use, and miles traveled from the Portland and New York offices.
- Calculate greenhouse gas emissions from sustainability indicators.
- Collaborate with employees in the different offices across the country, and oversees, in order to gather reliable data.
- Work with the company’s structural engineers to gather data on our building projects.
- Input data on our building projects into our embodied carbon calculator.
- Analyze carbon calculator data and put together charts and presentations based on findings.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Graduate students preferred, or very capable seniors or recent graduates.
- Prior experience with sustainability inventories or carbon footprint assessments.
- Excellent academic records (above 3.0/B grade point average).
- An academic interest in sustainability, energy, engineering, and/or architecture preferred.
- Experience using Excel for data management.
- Experience in Microsoft Access preferred.
- Experience in Revit, Tekla, and AutoCAD helpful, but not required.
- Ability and desire to learn new programs like Revit.
- Self-directed, practical and analytical.
Interns are expected to work approximately 20-40 hours/week, with flexibility for vacation. A wage of $17/hour will be offered and they will report to the Corporate Sustainability Officer in Portland.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting a resume and cover letter through the following link: home.eease.adp.com/recruit/.