The TREE Center is seeking a Summer Recreation Intern to work in their summer camp for the 2014 season.
- Must be a rising sophomore, junior, or senior in a recreational management, community management, or other related field.
- Must be able to lead and adapt activities to meet the needs of individuals with varying levels of ability and mobility.
- Must have demonstrated strong leadership, communication skills and be open and flexible to change.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and be active and physically challenged throughout a day.
- Must be able to work coherently and effectively in a team or independently.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must be willing to assist in all areas of summer camp operations including, but not limited to: greeting campers/renters, maintenance of camp grounds, and coordinating activities.
Internship Goals and Purposes
- Comfortable working and engaging with individuals of all ages including developmentally disabled and special needs populations.
- Ability to operate watercraft and be an excellent swimmer.
- First Aid/CPR certification (agency will provide as needed)
- Lifeguard certification (agency will provide as needed)
The intern will work closely with the Program Director to experience and gain skills and knowledge of camp operations including but not limited to: planning and camp programming, promoting environmental sustainability, and promoting community recreation. The intern will be responsible for promoting a safe and positive environment for all campers, employees, and volunteers.
- Work closely with Program Director to develop, coordinate, supervise, and maintain a safe camp experience for all individuals participating in Summer Camp and TREE programs.
- Maintain a safe, constantly supervised waterfront and boating area according to schedule and conduct daily check of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Actively promote safety and ensure that all agency safety practices, policies, and procedures are followed as outlined in rental agreement.
- Manage the physical facilities and equipment in the waterfront area (maintenance and cleaning duties as needed).
- Attend all training sessions and meetings as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of campers and groups renting the facility.
- Consistently maintain a professional manner, appearance and attitude with all internal and external resources and supports, and maintain a high standard of customer service.
- Participate and assist in managing Summer Camp activities such as: kayaking, paddle boating, swimming, boating, and other outdoor recreational sessions.
- Follow all Camp Waban and Waban Projects, Inc. policies and procedures.
- Perform various maintenance and organizational duties as asked.
- Responsible for working harmoniously with others keeping an open line of communication through team work and be an example to staff and campers alike in speech and action.
- Responsible for reporting to the internship on a regular and timely basis.
- Work with individuals of all ages and abilities including developmentally disabled and special needs populations.
- Ability to work with and manage volunteers harmoniously.
- Assist in other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
Cynthia Peedin, Environmental Educator
(207) 324-7955 ext. 660