Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum helps protect more than 25 million working people and their families in the event of illness or injury. Headquartered in Chattanooga Tennessee, Unum has significant U.S. operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts and Glendale, California with 35 field offices nationwide.
Disability Benefits Specialists are the key people in providing superior claim administration to our customers for either short term disability (STD), long term disability (LTD) or long term care (LTC) claims. They provide timely and accurate claims review, documentation and recommendations. The Disability Benefit Specialists are technical experts with a proven ability to make accurate decisions in a dynamic and fast paced environment. We provide our Disability Benefit Specialists with an intensive training program that is recognized as the best in the industry.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop an understanding and working knowledge of Unum's disability products, policies and contracts.
- Develop an understanding of the applicable contract/policy definitions of disability and relevant provisions, clauses, exclusion, riders and waivers as well as statutory requirements.
- Become familiar with reference materials and tools regarding medical, vocational and disability issues.
- Develop an operating knowledge of the applicable disability claims system(s).
- Develop basic medical and technical claims skills and an understanding of claim practices and procedures.
- Timely and accurate adjudication of assigned claims.
- Provide excellent customer service in accordance with organizational service standards.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- 4-year college degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Financial services/banking experience considered a plus.
- Able to utilize claim investigative techniques to identify and evaluate claim information in a fair and objective manner.
- Detail oriented; able to analyze and research contract information.
- Able to hold fast to fair and appropriate decisions even in the face of disagreement while being open to reconsider previous decisions based on new information.
- Demonstrated ability to make balanced decisions with the highest degree of integrity and fairness.
- Able to influence others in order to reach proper and constructive conclusion.
- PC skills are essential; ability to operate effectively in an imaged environment.
- Able to work with others in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and balance goals and priorities.
- Able to work effectively in a high volume environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Strong logical and analytical skills.
- Problem solving skills are essential.
- Basic math skills are essential.
- Adaptable to change.
Unum offers world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum provides equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees regardless of a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.