The Vermont Lake Monsters, Single-A, short season affiliate of the Oakland Athletics, are currently accepting applications of interns to begin work in May of 2014. The various positions provide interested and qualified candidates an opportunity to gain valuable experience with a Single-A Minor League Baseball team. Our season runs from mid June until the beginning of September during which we play a 76 game schedule (38 home games, 38 away games) in the New York-Penn League. The team, originally founded in 1994, annually draws roughly 100,000 fans – an impressive feat for a state with a population of just over 600,000 people. All home games are played at historic Centennial Field (Minor League Baseball’s oldest ballpark) in beautiful Burlington, Vermont.
Interns will learn multiple aspects of the sports industry while working closely with the front office staff including: public/community relations, marketing, promotions, ticket operations, sales, client relations, and front office duties. The internship runs from the end of May until the end of the season (beginning of September).
There will be one Community and Fan Development Intern for the 2014 Lake Monsters season. The position entails the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for daily grass roots marketing efforts within the community
- Increase brand awareness and community involvement
- Responsible for the distribution of 160,000 pocket schedules throughout the state
- Scheduling and facilitating the “fun patrol”
- Help organize and operate the pre-season fan fest
- Update and manage Champ’s Kids Club- create unique events that get members excited and to the ballpark
- Help grow the number of birthday parties hosted at the ballpark using existing marketing channels
- Organize and execute Monster Athlete, Outstanding Students, and Hit the Books school programs
- Schedule and prepare the Have A Catch, and Kids Run the Bases promotions
- Being at the games to make sure these in-between inning games are run flawlessly
- Giving away handouts, and performing other field-related duties prior to the game starting
- Creation of new ideas to induce fan development such as season ticket holder autograph sessions, etc
- Responsible for fulfilling in-season donation requests.
- Scheduling and attending Player and Champ Appearances in the community
- Using our social media to promote games and events, along with using social media as a way to interact with our fans through unique online promotions, and increase attendance
- Assisting in other general office and field duties
Applicants must be creative, very energetic and fun-loving, organized, and motivated for success.
Application procedure & requirements for interested candidates
- Candidates interested in the internship program must be available to work 9-5 and extended hours; including weeknights and weekends. Furthermore, candidates must demonstrate the ability to make their internship their top priority for the summer months.
- Candidates are required to have their own means of transportation
- Candidates are required to have their own housing in the area
- Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, one (1) letter of reference, and the internship questionnaire to the following address:
Vermont Lake Monsters Baseball Club
Attn: Joe Doud, Internship program
1 King Street Ferry Dock
Burlington, VT 05401
Please include the following information in your cover letter:
- What are your projected start and end dates for this internship?
- Tell us what you hope to gain by completing an internship with the Vermont Lake Monsters organization.
Qualified candidates, who receive the opportunity to accept a position with the ball club, are expected to accentuate and uphold the tremendous historic tradition upon which the Vermont Lake Monsters has been built.