The Vermont Lake Monsters, Single-A, short season affiliate of the Oakland Athletics, are currently accepting applications of interns to begin work in May of 2014. The various positions provide interested and qualified candidates an opportunity to gain valuable experience with a Single-A Minor League Baseball team. Our season runs from mid June until the beginning of September during which we play a 76 game schedule (38 home games, 38 away games) in the New York-Penn League. The team, originally founded in 1994, annually draws roughly 100,000 fans – an impressive feat for a state with a population of just over 600,000 people. All home games are played at historic Centennial Field (Minor League Baseball’s oldest ballpark) in beautiful Burlington, Vermont.
Interns will learn multiple aspects of the sports industry while working closely with the front office staff including: public/community relations, marketing, promotions, ticket operations, sales, client relations, and front office duties. The internship runs from the end of May until the end of the season (beginning of September).
There will be one Marketing and Communications Intern for the 2014 Lake Monsters season. The position entails the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for writing compelling articles to publish on the team’s website, and to send to local and national media for their publication’s use
- Responsible for interviewing coaching staff and players for written features and player profiles to be published in in-game publications, online, etc.
- Responsible for writing articles to promote the Lake Monsters in the community with Champ and player appearances
- Responsible for distributing and managing the results of the already created fan survey
- Host nightly raffles and create other incentives to increase the Lake Monsters database
- Create and send out the team’s e-newsletter to our database of 16,000 fans
- Oversee the Lake Monsters social media- distribute team information through these channels as frequently as possible
- Develop relationships with the local media to assist in the distribution of Lake Monsters news
- Assisting in opening and closing the press box, along with other game preparation in the press box
- Assisting in other general office and field duties
Applicants must have excellent written and verbal skills, be creative, personable, organized, outgoing, and have experience with website development/maintenance.
Application procedure & requirements for interested candidates
- Candidates interested in the internship program must be available to work 9-5 and extended hours; including weeknights and weekends. Furthermore, candidates must demonstrate the ability to make their internship their top priority for the summer months.
- Candidates are required to have their own means of transportation
- Candidates are required to have their own housing in the area
- Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, one (1) letter of reference, and the internship questionnaire to the following address:
Vermont Lake Monsters Baseball Club
Attn: Joe Doud, Internship program
1 King Street Ferry Dock
Burlington, VT 05401
Please include the following information in your cover letter
- What are your projected start and end dates for this internship?
- Tell us what you hope to gain by completing an internship with the Vermont Lake Monsters organization.
Qualified candidates, who receive the opportunity to accept a position with the ball club, are expected to accentuate and uphold the tremendous historic tradition upon which the Vermont Lake Monsters has been built.