The Vermont Lake Monsters, Single-A, short season affiliate of the Oakland Athletics, are currently accepting applications of interns to begin work in May of 2014. The various positions provide interested and qualified candidates an opportunity to gain valuable experience with a Single-A Minor League Baseball team. Our season runs from mid June until the beginning of September during which we play a 76 game schedule (38 home games, 38 away games) in the New York-Penn League. The team, originally founded in 1994, annually draws roughly 100,000 fans – an impressive feat for a state with a population of just over 600,000 people. All home games are played at historic Centennial Field (Minor League Baseball’s oldest ballpark) in beautiful Burlington, Vermont.
Interns will learn multiple aspects of the sports industry while working closely with the front office staff including: public/community relations, marketing, promotions, ticket operations, sales, client relations, and front office duties. The internship runs from the end of May until the end of the season (beginning of September).
There will be three Ticket Sales Interns for the 2014 Lake Monsters season. The description of the position and its responsibilities are below:
Description: This position focuses on selling season tickets, partial season ticket plans, and group packages for the Lake Monsters. In addition, this internship concentrates on training, sales skills and developing experience in the sports industry. Throughout the program, you will be assisting the ticket department in reaching their goals for the 2014 season through sales calls to local businesses, organizations, and individual ticket accounts. This position will have a base stipend but will also pay on commission based off a tiered scale. At week's end, whichever amount is higher will be paid. No specific experience is required.
- Maximizing revenue through the sale of Lake Monster ticket packages including season tickets, partial plans, group tickets, and individual game tickets
- Heavy outbound focus making cold calls as well as setting up face to face meetings
- Call past customers and cold call new customers to generate sales
- Utilize and maintain effective contacts
- Process and manage ticket orders
- Help supervise different pre-game group areas
- Manage the ticket sales table during home games to assist with customer service and generate sales
- Visit personal clients and prospects during the games
- Meet or exceed appointed weekly, monthly and seasonal sales goals
- Assisting in other general office and field duties
Applicants must be extremely customer oriented, detail oriented, organized, outgoing, possess problem solving skills, possess people skills, and be willing to learn.
Application procedure & requirements for interested candidates
- Candidates interested in the internship program must be available to work 9-5 and extended hours; including weeknights and weekends. Furthermore, candidates must demonstrate the ability to make their internship their top priority for the summer months.
- Candidates are required to have their own means of transportation
- Candidates are required to have their own housing in the area
- Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, one (1) letter of reference, and the internship questionnaire to the following address:
Vermont Lake Monsters Baseball Club
Attn: Joe Doud, Internship program
1 King Street Ferry Dock
Burlington, VT 05401
Please include the following information in your cover letter
- What are your projected start and end dates for this internship?
- Tell us what you hope to gain by completing an internship with the Vermont Lake Monsters organization.
Qualified candidates, who receive the opportunity to accept a position with the ball club, are expected to accentuate and uphold the tremendous historic tradition upon which the Vermont Lake Monsters has been built.