The Westbrook Community Center is seeking a Part Time Water Safety Instructor (WSI)/Lifeguard to work variable hours ranging from 5am to 9pm, Monday through Friday, and 8am to 8pm, Saturdays and Sundays.
This position serves as lead instructor for the Westbrook Community Center Learn-to-Swim program under the direction of the Aquatics Supervisor. Instructs swimming lessons based on curriculum established by the American Red Cross. Performs lifeguard function when needed.
Includes but is not limited to such essential functions as listed below:
- Instructs classes in accordance with American Red Cross standards.
- Maintains order and control of classes, ensuring participant safety at all times.
- Plans and prepares lesson materials for Learn-to-Swim program including certificates, course checklist, Red Cross course records, teaching aids and supplies.
- Oversees the Water Safety Aides assigned to their classes and assists in the training of the Water Safety Aides (if applicable)
- Interacts and communicates effectively with supervisory, pool management, and lifeguard staff.
- Immediately reports safety-related issues such as unsafe equipment within the facility, chemical spills, etc.
- Participates in required in-service trainings and other meetings.
- Contributes to team effort by performing other related duties, as assigned.
- Performs lifeguard role when needed
- Enforces and communicates pool safety rules and operational procedures with professionalism, respect, and courtesy
- Travels between job sites as needed
- Responds to emergencies and incidents quickly and calmly following established protocol
- Establishes positive public relations with parents/guardians of class participants by communicating student progress and achievements
- Maintains current required certifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read, interpret and comprehend written communications such as: short correspondence, memos, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to compose simple written communications such as routine reports and correspondence and to perform such functions utilizing word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to comply with and carry out detailed, but straightforward, written and oral instructions.
- Ability to solve problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations using mature judgment and sound decision making skills.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new or unexpected situations.
- Must have strong communication and customer service skills with the ability to communicate clearly and professionally in a positive manner in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Must be flexible to work mornings, days, evenings and/or weekends, as required.
- Must have reliable transportation to, from, and between job sites.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSES:
- Must be at least 16 years of age with prior experience as a lifeguard and swim instructor
- Current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification required
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard certification required
- Current Community First Aid/CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification required
- Must be able to pass a swim test covering the different swimming strokes and safety related skills.
To apply please submit a completed application to HR@westbrook.me.us or deliver to:
Westbrook City Hall
2 York Street
Westbrook, ME 04092