What is ILL
Interlibrary Loan is used to obtain library materials for individual study and research which are NOT available through Wellehan Library. Be sure to check the MINERVA catalog before requesting ILL service.
Who May Use ILL
Interlibrary Loan is available to currently enrolled on-campus and online students, current and retired faculty, and current staff.
Most ILL materials are free.
- Occasionally a library will charge to supply a particular
article or book. In that case, we will contact you and the request will
not be fulfilled without your approval. Charges will be billed to your
- Any book lost or damaged while in your
possession will be charged to your school account for replacement
costs. These costs range from $40 to $100.
- Books, journal articles, government documents, DVD's, VHS, CD's, dissertations and theses.
- Requests for dissertations and theses will be accepted, but many libraries choose not to lend these items. Dissertations and theses may be purchased from UMI/Proquest.
- Some materials, such as newspapers reproduced in microform, may be borrowed, depending on the lending library's policies
- Photocopies from non-circulating materials, such as reference books, can be requested in accordance with U.S. copyright law
- Materials for class reserve, or group use
- Course textbooks
- Bound periodicals
- Recent newspapers
- Reference books
- Rare or valuable material such as manuscripts and special collections
Requesting ILL Materials
On campus students please check MINERVA and MaineCat first. If
materials are not available, ILL staff will track it down for you. ILL
requests can be submitted online by:
Delivery time is usually 1-5 business days for articles and 4-10
business days for books, but sometimes it is longer. We strive to find
the quickest method to obtain materials, but we cannot guarantee an
exact arrival date.
- Articles will be sent to your SJC e-mail account.
- When ILL materials arrive you are notified via e-mail, and you may pick them up at the Circulation Desk.
- All materials borrowed through ILL must be returned to the
ILL office by the due date. If the office is closed, return ILL
materials to the Circulation Desk. Please leave the book band attached.
return, lost, or the poor care of materials jeopardizes the ability of
the library to borrow from other libraries in the future.
Loan Periods and Renewals
- The loan period is determined by the lending library and clearly noted on the item.
- The loan period averages 2-3 weeks, but will depend on the lending library's policies.
- Be aware of the due dates. ILL books must be renewed by contacting the ILL office.
- Keep in mind that not all libraries renew. Renewal and length of renewal are at the discretion of the lending library.
- Please submit a renewal request to the ILL Librarian at (207) 893-7725 or email@example.com 4-5 days prior to due date.