What do I do if I have Symptoms of Flu?

Avoid Contact With Others!

If you are sick, you may be ill for a week or longer. Students who get sick should be seen by their personal medical provider or call the Health and Wellness Center at 893-6634 for an appointment to be evaluated by a medical provider on campus.

If you leave your room to seek medical care, cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and avoid contact with other people as much as possible to keep from spreading your illness. With seasonal flu, people may be contagious from one day before they develop symptoms to up to 7 days after they get sick. You should remain in self-isolation until you have had NO fever for at least 24 hours. Students will need to get a clearance note from their personal medical provider or an on-campus provider before returning to campus.

Treatment is Available for Those Who Are Seriously Ill.

It is expected that most people will recover without needing medical care.

Antiviral drugs can be given to treat those who become severely ill with influenza. These antiviral drugs are prescription medicines (pills, liquid or an inhaler) with activity against influenza viruses, including novel H1N1 flu virus. These medications must be prescribed by a health care professional.

In adults, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

  • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
  • Confusion
  • Severe or persistent vomiting
  • Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough