The symptoms of novel H1N1 flu virus in people include:
- fever (typically >101°
- sore throat
- runny or stuffy nose
- body aches
A significant number of people who have been infected with this virus also have reported diarrhea and vomiting.
In adults, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with high fever and worse cough
Take these everyday steps to protect your health:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If soap and water are not available use an alcohol based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, STAY HOME except to get medical care. Keep away from others as much as possible to keep from making others sick.