Finance & Administration Policies

Contracting Policy

Authority to enter into any contract on behalf of Saint Joseph’s College is reserved to the President and to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Further delegation of authority to other College employees may be made, as provided in this policy, or by written authorization of the President or CFO.

Read the full policy, including definitions, delegations of authority and enforcement.  

College Credit Card, Travel & Expense Reimbursement, Cash Advance, Check Request and Vehicle Rental Policy

General Comments

Original receipts are required to substantiate all College credit card purchases, travel and expense reimbursements, cash advances, and check requests.  If a receipt is not submitted, the employee will be responsible for the amount of the charge if a College credit card was used, or will not be reimbursed if submitted on a Travel & Expense Reimbursement Report form.

For IRS purposes, itemized restaurant receipts for meals attended by College employee(s) and/or guests must include the name(s) of the individuals present, their business relationship, and the business purpose (i.e. Relationship - consultant; Purpose - potential donor).    The credit card receipt alone will not be accepted.

Itemized hotel/motel receipts are required. The credit card receipt alone will not be accepted. Items of a personal nature such as movie rentals, personal gifts from the hotel/motel gift shop, or the in-room bar are not considered to be College expenses and are deemed the responsibility of the employee, unless the business purpose is properly documented

The Treasurer’s Office processes checks weekly to be mailed or distributed on Friday. To meet this deadline, all Check Request and Travel & Expense Reimbursement Report forms must be received by Friday of the previous week.

College Credit Card

The cutoff date for statements issued on College Credit Card is around the 27th of each month. When the statement is received, it should be carefully reviewed and a College Credit Card Expense Report must be completed.  Original receipts for all charges must be attached to the College Credit Card Expense Report along with the statement.  All documents must then be submitted to the supervisor or the department head for signature and expense authorization.

The approved College Credit Card Expense Report and attached receipts should be submitted to the Treasurer's Office within 20 days after receiving the monthly credit card statement.

College credit card purchases for personal items/services are not allowed, with the exception of some hotel/motel charges. (Refer to the General Comments section). These costs are to be reimbursed to the College by the employee and reimbursement must accompany the credit card statement when it is submitted to the Treasurer's Office for payment.  Failure to remit amount due with the statement will result in revocation of the credit card.

College business related charges not substantiated with an itemized receipt will be the responsibility of the employee and will be due to the College.

The College credit card must be turned in to Human Resources, Treasurer’s Office, or your supervisor upon resignation/termination of employment.

Travel & Expense Reimbursement

Travel & Expense Reimbursement Report forms must be accurately completed with dates, descriptions, amounts, totals and applicable expense codes. Travel and Expense Reimbursement Reports require original itemized receipts for each item on the report with the exception of mileage. The mileage rate used to calculate mileage reimbursement when personal vehicles are used for College business will be the current IRS rate in effect.  When College owned vehicles or rental vehicles are used for College business, the employee will be reimbursed for the actual purchase price of the gasoline, otherwise gasoline charges are not allowed. Fuel purchases must be substantiated with a receipt. Expenses not substantiated with a receipt will not be reimbursed.

Please refer to General Comment’s section for required documentation as outlined by the IRS.

The Travel and Expense Reimbursement Report must be signed by the individual submitting the report and signed and authorized for payment by the supervisor or department head.  Travel & Expense Reimbursement Report forms submitted to the Treasurer’s Office with any missing information will be returned to the employee.

Cash Advance

Cash advances are restricted to student life and athletic events.

Student Life cash advances must be submitted on a Cash Advance Request form. The Cash Advance Request form must be properly completed, coded, signed by the individual requesting the advance, and signed and authorized by the supervisor or department head. The request must include the reason for the advance, the date of the event/purchase, and, in the case of an event, the sponsoring group or organization. This form is to be returned to the Treasurer's Office with itemized receipts within three (3) days after the event along with any unspent portion of the advance.

Athletic coaches requesting cash advances, to be disbursed to athletes for meals when traveling to and from athletic events, are required to have each student athlete sign a form acknowledging receipt of the money. This form is to be returned to the Treasurer's Office to be attached to the original cash advance request within seven (7) days after the event along with any unspent portion of the advance. The Athletic Department has its own form designed specifically for travel cash advances. A standard Cash Advance Request form is not used and a Travel & Expense Reimbursement Report form is not required.

Check Request

The only time a Check Request form should be used is when there is no vendor invoice, registration form, or other form of remittance advice.  Check requests must be properly completed to include the date the check is requested, the payee name, amount, applicable expense code, and the business purpose.  A Check Request form must have documentation attached to substantiate the request.  A completed W9 form must be attached to the Check Request form. Check Request forms must be signed and authorized for payment by the supervisor or department head.

Vehicle Rental

All employees renting a vehicle should use Enterprise Car Rental as the first option as the College has a contractual agreement.  If Enterprise Car Rental is not available, all employees renting a vehicle for College business must use the College credit card.  The College credit card provides up to 15 consecutive days of car rental insurance automatically when it is used to pay for rentals.  Consequently, there is no need to elect insurance through the car rental company for all domestic (in the United States) car rentals. (This Policy does not apply to car rentals abroad. It is required that all employees renting vehicles abroad purchase liability insurance at the time of the rental).