Bachelor of Arts in Theology
Saint Joseph’s College’s theology students will gain knowledge and understanding of Catholic theology, including the Bible, the creeds, and the ideas and practices of Catholicism and other major religions.
As a theology major, you will investigate texts with consideration of the religious, historical, cultural, and literary contexts in which they were produced. Regardless of your personal faith, you will learn to understand and decipher subjects in history, philosophy, language, and you will reflect on the fundamental questions of human existence.
At a Glance
- Opportunities for independent study, internships, and international service trips.
- Broad set of courses in which both Catholics and non-Catholics can feel comfortable and engaged.
- Students may take up to two online classes to fulfill major—and for those who qualify, those two can be graduate courses counting toward a master’s degree in theology.
- Ability to double major and minor opportunities.
- Our faculty includes renowned scholars who have authored books, articles, and monographs.
The Bachelor of Arts in Theology covers a wide range of religious topics, many of which look at Catholicism and other major religions from historical, theological, and scriptural perspectives. Students majoring in theology often double major in English, history, philosophy, psychology, science, or sociology. This degree includes two semesters of foreign language study and a requirement to complete a 20-credit minor in another academic field.
A minor in theology is available and requires students to take 20 credit hours.