Bachelor of Science in Sports Management
Saint Joseph’s sports management major provides students with a strong working knowledge of sports from an operational perspective. Upon completion, students will have developed the knowledge and skills necessary to work in sports and fitness-related industries.
Throughout the program, students study courses in sports marketing, sports law, sports and society, facilities management, and event planning. Additionally, students must complete a business administration minor in business and sports management. Internships are not required, but most students take advantage of the exciting networking opportunities available in order to gain experience and make contacts for future employment after graduation.
At a Glance
- Faculty members provide personal attention and mentoring for students.
- Access to outstanding, flexible internships, including ties with the professional sports community in Portland.
- Integrated major with business administration prepares students for the possibility of later working in sales, merchandising, or management as it relates to sports and fitness.
The Bachelor of Science in Sports Management curriculum enables student to apply business knowledge and skills to the unique demands of a sports-related industry. As such, students majoring in sports management are required to complete a 20-credit minor in business administration.
There is the option of a sports management athletic administration concentration available, requiring 14 credits to complete. The concentration in athletic administration prepares students to be leaders and role models in interscholastic, university, and collegiate sports. Courses focus on the significant role that athletic administrators engage in within the school and the community. Learning outcomes support skill development in the areas of management, leadership, marketing, and communications. Special emphasis will be placed on developing personal philosophies and values related to administration and coaching. Students upon the completion of course work will have a thorough understanding of the nature of athletic administration.
- A minor in sports management is also available and requires 20 credit hours.
- A minor in coaching is available and requires 20 credit hours.
Explore the possible career paths available with a degree in sports management: sports media, merchandising, professional team and league operations, and more.