Granada is a modern city in southeastern Spain with a vibrant community of over 60,000 university students. It is a global crossroads, rich in history, culture, and ethnic and religious diversity. Situated at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Granada boasts breathtaking natural beauty.
Photos by Maria Ireland.
Spring 2018 Semester, Feb. 6 – May 2, 2018
Students live in student residence halls and attend four SJC classes based at Immaculata University, taught by renowned faculty from Spain, Canada, and the U.S. These courses fulfill core requirements and/or electives. A fifth course is the student’s choice of an SJC online course or an independent study course with Sebago campus faculty.
- Granada: an Axis of Worlds (HY 421) – 3 credits. A study of the city’s history and contribution to world culture. Includes walking tours. History elective; or as a Nature and Society core elective
- Spanish Immersion: the Spanish Speaker (SP 310) – 4 credits. Beginning and intermediate levels offered. Includes conversational sessions with Spanish speakers. May fulfill a language requirement for certain majors; or as a general elective
- The Ecological Vision of Laudato Si’ (ES 404) – 3 credits. Analysis of global ecological crises, cultural habits and philosophical conceptions of nature, along with the study of holistic solutions on personal and local levels. Includes field trips in and around Granada. May be substituted for ES300, Ecology and the Environmental Challenge; or used as a Nature and Society core elective
- Theology Special Topics course (TH 309) – 3 credits. Topic TBA. Theology elective
- Student’s choice of SJC online course (3 credits) or independent study course with Sebago campus faculty (4 credits. This course can fulfill a major or minor requirement, a core course or a general elective (student will work with academic advisor to choose).
Included in the semester
- Room and board
- Visit to the Alhambra and sites in and around Granada
- Hiking in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range and enjoying the beach
- Excursions to Madrid, Avila, Cordoba, Seville, Toledo, and the Escorial
- Optional group excursions to London and Barcelona, at student’s cost
- Other discount travel opportunities for students
The deadline to complete the application is Oct. 31. Students are urged to set up a meeting as soon as possible. Contact Steve McFarland at email@example.com or 207-893-6636.
Granada Internship: May 15 – June 19, 2018
Every Friday and Saturday, visits to sites in and around Granada, such as the Alhambra, the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, the beach, the International Dance Festival, the Corpus Christi Festival, and lots of Tapas!
Cost TBA includes:
- 4-credit International Internship Course
- Homestay Room and Board
Students choose the internship experience, which include the following:
- Caritas, which provides direct relief and social justice to the poor, the suffering, the immigrants, and the homeless.
- Art Restoration Apprenticeship
- Business Development and Retail Service
- Library and archival work among priceless volumes
In Their Words
For more information, contact Steve McFarland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-893-6636.
Learn more about other Study Away Programs at SJC.