Licensure and Internship Information

For students interested in pursuing a career as a long-term care administrator, there are specific issues and requirements to consider in order to take courses in the Long-term Care program. This is an attempt to address the need for information from the student prior to acceptance to assure that the course(s) will meet the student’s educational and career goals.

  • Licensure for both nursing facility administrators (NHA) and some states that license executive directors for assisted living (EDAL), state rules and regulations will determine eligibility and requirements for a license. Prospective students need to declare which state they intend to seek licensure. While a number of states to accept both the program’s degrees and the Certificate in Long-term Care, there are individual differences in how each state will approach academic requirements.

  • For both the undergraduate and graduate degrees offered by the College if they are intended to be used for licensure, require a 1000-hour internship (aka practicum). This is the accreditation requirement of the National Board of Examiners for Long-term Care Executives (aka NAB). This is non-negotiable.

  • NAB does not accredit Certificate programs nor individual courses. NAB only considers undergraduate and graduate programs for accreditation.

  • Prospective students need to be in contact with the chosen state of licensure to determine the course requirements, including the number of hours for an internship. While some state may waive the number of hours based on past work experience, NAB will only allow the use of an accredited degree based on a 1000-hour internship.

  • Prospective students are responsible for finding a site for their internship. While the Program Director can consult with the student in how to find a site, it does remain the responsibility of the student to determine a location.

  • The Program Director will need to review the details of a site, including regulatory history, background and experience of the preceptor, and other relevant information in order to approve the student for the course.

  • Any questions or issues regarding internships need to be directed to the Program Director.

For more information

Michael Harrington, MATS, MSHA, RHIA, CHP
Program Director, Health Administration Programs