How do I get an internship?
Students usually complete an internship during their junior and/or senior year. First, visit the Office of Career Services to talk about internship opportunities, how to obtain an internship, how to write a résumé and cover letter, and how to prepare for the interviewing process.
The Office of Career Services is located on the first floor of St. Joe's Hall. Call 893-6636 or 893-6637 to set up a time to come in, or you can also just drop in.
Do I earn credits for my internship?
Most students complete internships for credit and experience. Only a few internships are paid in addition to credits. As an intern, you will enroll in a 4-credit course called Business Internship Program (BU 404).
How long do internships last?
They are usually a semester long, although a few last a year:
- Fall Semester, September-December
- Spring Semester, January-May
- Summer Semester, May-August
Why participate in an internship?
Student benefits include:
- Gain professional experience while in school
- Sample specific jobs within career areas
- Make valuable contacts for future networking
- Sample different working environments (work setting, type of employer, or industry, geographic location)
- Gain insight into real world application of concepts learned in school
- Develop self-confidence and independence
- Earn money
- Earn college credit
Where can I work as an intern?
Saint Joseph's College has many connections in the Greater Portland area with businesses and organizations. Some typical intern placements include:
||Maine International Trade Center
|American Red Cross
|Baker Newman Noyes, CPA
|Berry Dunn McNeil & Parker, CPA
||Portland Police Department
|Edward Jones Investments
||Portland Radio Group
||Portland Sea Dogs
||Portland Water District
|Green Tree Marketing
|Lake Region Animal Hospital
|Lakes Region Suburban Weekly
||Windham Parks & Recreation
|Maine Medical Center
||Wolfe Public Relations
|Maine State Government
Can I do an internship on campus?
Yes, the following departments have sponsored interns, for example:
Saint Joseph's College Online
Intramurals & Recreation
Marketing & Public Relations
Employer benefits include:
- Lowers recruiting costs
- Affords observation and evaluation of potential employees
- Provides reliable source for pre-professionals
- Requires no permanent commitment (however, 60 percent of the time, interns are hired on full-time)
- Allows greater productivity during business cycles
- Lowers training costs
- Allows for input into educational process
What are employers required to provide?
- written job description or a simple list of duties/responsibilities
- appropriate learning environment where the intern may apply their college studies in an experiential learning setting
- specific point person that the intern can refer questions to
- schedule allowing students to work (at minimum) 150 hours over 15 weeks so they may receive academic credit
- internship evaluation form at the conclusion of the internship
What are the student's responsibilities as an intern?
- Treat internship position as a professional job
- Satisfy academic requirements of internship course
- Must notify employer beforehand if they cannot report to work at scheduled times
- Must provide own transportation
What does Career Services Center provide?
- Promote internship opportunities to students
- Refer students to sponsoring employers
- Provide résumé and interviewing skills assistance
- Coordinate the academic component of the internship