Below are answers to some of the questions asked most frequently asked by prospective students. If you have other questions, please feel free to call 800-752-1266 or e-mail us at

When should I apply for financial aid?

We recommend that you apply for financial aid by May 1st of each year. The financial aid year runs from July 1 to June 30. If the student’s start date begins July 1 or later, the student must use the next year’s application.

What type of aid is available?
Undergraduates are considered for the Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Direct Loan Program. Graduate students are considered for Federal Direct Loans.

What will aid cover?
Aid is awarded for tuition and books for online courses. During a summer session, a student may want to apply for aid to help cover room/board (cannot exceed campus charges) and documented travel expenses.

How is aid paid?
Aid is only paid after the course begins. Your aid will be disbursed approximately 20 days from the start date of the course(s). A student must be at least half-time to receive federal loan funds.

What is half-time?
An undergraduate student will be considered half-time, if he/she is enrolled in 6 credits. Courses must be completed within the designated term length (10 weeks or 12 weeks). A graduate student will be considered half-time if he/she is enrolled in at least 3 credits during the 10 or 12 week term.

What is full-time?
An undergraduate student will be considered full-time, if he/she is enrolled in 12 credits concurrently. Courses must be completed within the designated term length (10 weeks or 12 weeks). A graduate student will be considered full-time if he/she is enrolled in at least 6 credits concurrently during the 10 or 12 week term.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?
The College is required to evaluate a student’s progress as part of its determination of financial aid eligibility. For financial aid purposes, a student must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average in order to maintain eligibility for aid. In addition, a student must complete at least 70% of all credits attempted including those that have been transferred to Saint Joseph’s. A student may not receive aid more than twice at the same grade level.

Can I use financial aid to pay for courses I repeat?
In some cases, yes.  If you take a course for the first time and fail it (grade of “F”,) you may retake the class one time using financial aid.  You cannot use financial aid to retake a class for any grade other than a failing grade (“F”.)

What if I need to withdraw from my classes and have federal aid?
Please notify our office immediately. Contact your advisor for more information about the academic and billing aspects of withdrawing from classes. For financial aid purposes, you will be considered to be a withdrawn student. We calculate how much aid you have earned based on the amount of time you have been enrolled. It is possible that some federal funds will need to be returned and you may owe a balance at the College.

What will you do with my deferment form or other enrollment verification form?
Send these forms to the Office of the Registrar. A deferment form can only be completed once the student has demonstrated half-time status for the period of deferment. Academic advisors can not complete enrollment forms or advise students on their official enrollment status. We also report your enrollment status every 30 days to the National Student Clearinghouse.

What’s the best number to call about paperwork or general questions about financial aid?
800-752-1266 or 207-893-6612

Who do I call about the financial aid letter or special circumstances?
Rhonda Dumond, Director of Financial Aid
Phone: 207-893-6614