Silver Sneakers Classes, led by SJC instructors, are now offered online, in-person, or combination. Classes are held via Zoom on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays at 9am. In-person and combo are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Links to join may be found in IIA’s weekly email newsletter (sent each Monday morning). To receive the weekly email, please click here and complete the information. You may also reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SilverSneakers® is a health and fitness program for seniors now offered at Saint Joseph’s College.
SilverSneakers is a health and fitness program designed for older adults in partnership with Tivity Health.
Classes are designed specifically for older adults.
Classes are a great way to meet friends and get in shape. While each class varies in style and technique, they all begin with a warm-up, offer modifications for every level and end with a cool down.
4 Tips to start a successful routine
- Pace yourself. Keep your heart rate in a comfortable intensity zone. Work hard enough to make your heart stronger without overexerting.
- Slow down or rest when necessary. You might find it difficult to keep going for the entire class. That’s okay! You will get stronger by continuing to exercise.
- Listen to your body. You can expect occasional minor soreness after exercising. It’s a positive sign you are using your muscles! Don’t worry if you are unable to keep up with the other members. The important thing is to keep going.
- Warm up and cool down. A warm-up gradually prepares your muscles and joints for exercise. When you finish your workout, your body needs a chance to cool down slowly. This means you should slow your heart rate gently. Do not stop abruptly by standing still, sitting or lying down.
- Okay to go! – “I feel great, and I’m breathing normally.”
- Very, very light intensity – “I feel terrific. I don’t even feel like I’m exerting myself.”
- Very light intensity – “This is fun. I feel like I could go forever.”
- Light intensity – “I can tell I’m exercising. I feel good.”
- Moderate intensity – “I’m sweating a little. I’m working.”
- Moderate to intense – “I’m exercising harder than I thought I would. I’m getting a workout.”
- Intense – “The workout is hard, but I can take it.”
- Very intense – “This is difficult. I’m breathing hard. I’m not sure how long I can go.”
- Very, very intense – “I’m very uncomfortable. I can’t talk in a normal tone of voice. I should slow down.”
- Maximum intensity – “I’m completely exhausted. I must slow down immediately.”
Come to Class Prepared
- Wear comfortable athletic shoes
- Wear loose fitting clothes
- Bring a towel
- Don’t forget your water bottle
Our Current Offerings at SJC:
While we’re all practicing social distancing, join IIA’s SilverSneakers, with your SJC instructors online via Zoom. Email us at email@example.com for links to join.
You can also access SilverSneakers on demand workouts at home!
- Cost for community members is $7 to drop in or $25 punch card for 5 classes
- Cost for SJC staff/faculty/alumni is $3 drop in or $25 for a 10 punch card
- SilverSneakers Members who are eligible attend for free (check your eligibility here).
Assistant Director of Campus Recreation
Silver Sneakers Ambassador Program
SilverSneakers AmbassadorsTM are connecting our community and inspiring their peers to lead better lives. As an Ambassador, you’ll have the platform to have your voice heard. We’ll also give you the tools you need to connect with more members and make new friends. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 893-7642.
Have you subscribed to the SilverSneakers Newsletter? This weekly newsletter is delivered to your inbox and contains the latest articles, fitness tips, free downloads and more! To subscribe, click here. (this is NOT the IIA weekly newsletter; this is directly from SilverSneakers/Tivity Health)