Registrar’s Office

Can you send my child’s grades home?

Students access their grades online. Grade reports will only be mailed to the student’s home address upon student request. Grade reports and transcripts are not accessible for students who have an unpaid balance.

Dean’s Office

What types of disability services can you provide for my child?

With proper documentation, accommodations such as a note-taker, quiet separate test setting, extended time, tape-recorded class lectures and the use of a calculator on exams can be provided. Proper documentation guidelines can be found on our ADA accommodations page.

How will my child know if he or she is struggling in a course?

The office of Academic Records, in conjunction with The Academic Center for Excellence, provides Early Warning Reports, as well as, Mid-Term Warning grades to all students who fall within the C- or below grade range.

In the event my child is out a week or more, who should be contacted at the College?

If a student is absent for an extended period of time, they should always notify the Dean’s Office, as well as their faculty members. The student must present a valid reason for his or her absence.

My child is having difficulty managing his or her time. How can The Academic Center assist with time management and organization skills?

The Academic Center for Excellence provides individualized mentoring for academic success to any student who wishes to meet with one of our staff members. We also have academic planners available, as well as information on study tips, time management, organization skills and effective note-taking tips.

If my child is having difficulty in a course, what would you suggest he or she do to find a tutor?

The Academic Center for Excellence coordinates with each department chair to hire and staff a variety of peer tutors for different subjects. At the beginning of each semester we determine which areas are problem areas for students and begin the process of hiring qualified tutors to assist them with any academic difficulty they may face in that particular course. It would also benefit each student to talk to their individual faculty member regarding concerns over the course. This ensures that the faculty member is aware of the difficulty and can do their best to aid the student throughout the semester. Students can find peer tutor hours posted in The Academic Center for Excellence.

What would you suggest to my son or daughter who suffers with their writing skills?

The Writing Center provides a free consulting service on any type of writing project. An initial meeting would be set up with the student to identify their strengths and weakness as a writer. Then, the student would be introduced to one of our writing tutors who would work with them on composition, editing, formatting and revising their paper.

As a first-year student, who will be assisting my son or daughter through their college transition?

Your son or daughter will have the support system of not only The Academic Center for Excellence, but also faculty advisors and first-year mentors. Through our First-Year Experience program, all first-year students take the First-Year Experience (FYE) Seminar. This is a self-development course emphasizes areas such as academic enrichment, applied knowledge, higher-level thinking, and socio-economic perspectives.

Student Life

Does Saint Joseph’s have programs to ease the transition from high school to college?

  • First-Year Experience program
  • Summer orientations
  • Fall orientation, first-year students only
  • Counseling Center
  • Social and activity programs on each floor of residence hall with resident assistants

Do you have transportation shuttles?

We offer limited shuttle transportation to Windham, South Portland and Portland to Amtrak and airport.

What type of security does SJC have for its students and buildings?

The College’s security department is open 24/7. All security officers are trained as emergency “first responders.” Campus call boxes are provided in parking areas so that students may call for a security escort to their residence hall if they arrive on campus late at night.

All residence halls have front-door locks and each student room has a separate lock, thus giving students a “doubly secure” living space.

Will my child be allowed to choose his/her roommate?

As long as both students request one another, they are allowed to room together. At new student orientation, first-year students will meet many students and may find someone they elect to live with. For returning students, the housing selection process allows for students to choose their roommates as well.

Will my student be allowed to have a car on campus?

Yes. Students are asked to register their cars with the security office for a fee of $100, and are given a student parking decal that allows them to park in specific lots on campus.

What if there is an emergency on campus?

To report a crime or other emergency, please call the security office at 207-893-6687 from an off-campus or cellular phone, or dial extension 6687 from any campus extension. The emergency line, 7911, can be dialed from any on-campus phone.

Emergency telephone call boxes are located outside or near all residence halls, the parking lot behind the Alfond Center, and the baseball field parking lot. These telephone call boxes, which call the security office, are in prominent locations and are identified with a blue light.

Blackboard Connect, an emergency notification system, will notify the campus community of critical emergency situations at the college via phone (cell and room phones), e-mail and parental contact information. Blackboard Connect can be found under the MySJC link on the website.


In early spring, information regarding May Commencement will be posted on the College’s Commencement page.