Why participate in an internship?
Student benefits include:
- Gain professional experience while in school
- Sample specific jobs within career areas
- Make valuable contacts for future networking
- Sample different working environments (work setting, type of employer, or industry, geographic location)
- Gain insight into real-world application of concepts learned in school
- Develop self-confidence and independence
- Earn money
- Earn college credit
Learn how these students experienced internships
Olivia Marable ’18 conducted research on sea star propagation while working as an intern for ten weeks in the fisheries department at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center in Virginia Beach.
How do I get an internship?
Students usually complete an internship during their junior and/or senior year. First, visit the Office of Career Development or your advisor to talk about internship opportunities, how to obtain an internship, how to write a résumé and cover letter, and how to prepare for the interviewing process.
In combination with our Connections program, internship students gain personal growth with hands-on experience.
The Office of Career Development is located on the first floor of Mercy Hall. Call 893-6636 or 893-6637 to set up a time to come in, or you can also just drop in.
Do I earn credits for my internship?
Most students complete internships for credit and experience. Only a few internships are paid in addition to credits. As an intern, you will enroll in a four-credit course called Business Internship Program (BU 404).
How long do internships last?
They are usually a semester long: September-December, January-May, or May-August; although a few last a year.
Where can I work as an intern?
Saint Joseph’s College has many connections in the Greater Portland area with businesses and organizations. Some typical intern placements include: AARP, American Red Cross, Baker Newman Noyes, CPA, Berry Dunn McNeil & Parker, CPA, Burgess Advertising, Edward Jones Investments, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Giraffe Events, Green Tree Marketing, Hannaford Supermarkets, Idexx Laboratories, Lake Region Animal Hospital, Lakes Region Weekly, Maine Medical Center, Maine International Trade Center, Maine State Government, Portland Magazine, Portland Pirates, Portland Police Department, Portland Radio Group, Portland Sea Dogs, Portland Water District, Red Claws, Sweetser, The Northern Light Mercy Hospital, Tripswithpets.com, Unum, WGME 13, Windham Parks & Recreation, Wolfe Public Relations, and many more.
Can I do an internship on campus?
Yes, the following departments have sponsored interns: Athletic Department, Saint Joseph’s College Online, Information Systems, Intramurals & Recreation, Marketing & Communications, and Sports Information.
What are employers required to provide?
- Written job description or a simple list of duties/responsibilities
- Appropriate learning environment where the intern may apply their college studies in an experiential learning setting
- Specific point person that the intern can refer questions to
- Schedule allowing students to work (at minimum) 150 hours over 15 weeks so they may receive academic credit
- Internship evaluation form at the conclusion of the internship
What are the student’s responsibilities as an intern?
- Treat internship position as a professional job
- Satisfy academic requirements of internship course
- Must notify employer beforehand if they cannot report to work at scheduled times
- Must provide own transportation
What does Career Development provide?
- Promote internship opportunities to students
- Refer students to sponsoring employers
- Provide résumé and interviewing skills assistance
- Coordinate the academic component of the internship