How do I get
Students usually complete an internship during their junior and/or senior year. First, visit the Office of Career Development to talk about internship opportunities, how to obtain an internship, how to write a résumé and cover letter, and how to prepare for the interviewing process.
In combination with our Connections program, internship students gain personal growth with hands-on experience.
The Office of Career Development is located on the first floor of Mercy Hall across from the Bookstore. Call 893-6636 or 893-6637 to set up a time to come in, or you can also just drop in.
Do I earn
credits for my internship?
Most students complete internships for credit and experience. Only a few internships are paid in addition to credits. As an intern, you will enroll in a four-credit course called Business Internship Program (BU 404).
How long do
They are usually a semester long, although a few last a year:
- Fall Semester, September-December
- Spring Semester, January-May
- Summer Semester, May-August
participate in an internship?
Student benefits include:
- Gain professional experience while in school
- Sample specific jobs within career areas
- Make valuable contacts for future networking
- Sample different working environments (work setting, type of employer, or industry, geographic location)
- Gain insight into real-world application of concepts learned in school
- Develop self-confidence and independence
- Earn money
- Earn college credit
Where can I
work as an intern?
Saint Joseph's College has many connections in the Greater Portland area with businesses and organizations. Some typical intern placements include:
|| Maine International Trade Center |
| American Red Cross
|| Mercy Hospital |
| Baker Newman Noyes, CPA
|| Portland Magazine |
| Berry Dunn McNeil & Parker, CPA
|| Portland Pirates |
| Burgess Advertising
|| Portland Police Department |
| Edward Jones Investments
|| Portland Radio Group |
| Enterprise Rent-A-Car
|| Portland Sea Dogs |
| Giraffe Events
|| Portland Water District |
| Green Tree Marketing
|| Red Claws |
| Hannaford Supermarkets
|| Sweetser |
| Idexx Laboratories
|| Tripswithpets.com |
| Lake Region Animal Hospital
|| UnumProvident |
| Lakes Region Weekly
|| WGME 13 |
| Maine Medical Center
|| Windham Parks & Recreation |
| Maine State Government
||Wolfe Public Relations |
Can I do an
internship on campus?
Yes, the following departments have sponsored interns: Athletic Department
, Saint Joseph's College Online,
Intramurals & Recreation,
Marketing & Communications,
and Sports Information.
Employer benefits include:
- Lowers recruiting costs
- Affords observation and evaluation of potential employees
- Provides reliable source for pre-professionals
- Requires no permanent commitment (however, 60 percent of the time interns are hired on full-time)
- Allows greater productivity during business cycles
- Lowers training costs
- Allows for input into educational process
What are employers
required to provide?
- Written job description or a simple list of duties/responsibilities
- Appropriate learning environment where the intern may apply their college studies in an experiential learning setting
- Specific point person that the intern can refer questions to
- Schedule allowing students to work (at minimum) 150 hours over 15 weeks so they may receive academic credit
- Internship evaluation form at the conclusion of the internship
What are the
student's responsibilities as an intern?
- Treat internship position as a professional job
- Satisfy academic requirements of internship course
- Must notify employer beforehand if they cannot report to work at scheduled times
- Must provide own transportation
Career Development provide?
- Promote internship opportunities to students
- Refer students to sponsoring employers
- Provide résumé and interviewing skills assistance
- Coordinate the academic component of the internship