Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
Learn how to successfully navigate the world of business with Saint Joseph’s Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.
The business administration degree provides a general knowledge of business and allows students to build areas of expertise in seven fields of study:
- Business & Sport Management
- Human Resource Management
- International Business
Visit the curriculum section below for more information on these program specialties.
At a Glance
- Sound foundation in the core disciplines of business administration including accounting, marketing, management, and economics; skills needed in order to operate successfully in graduate school and the professional world.
- Ability to choose one of several areas of concentration within the business administration discipline.
- Emphasizes the understanding of international business and the global economy.
- Provides sufficient preparation to enable students to pursue professional certifications such as Certified Public Accountant and other professional designations.
- Ability to take courses toward a bachelor’s or master’s degree at the same time.
- Over 80% of our students participate in business internships, which often lead to jobs.
- Students participate in real-world, community-based class projects in corporate settings.
- Faculty members, most still working in the business world or own businesses, actively help students find internships and jobs.
- Accelerated programs for fast degree completion are available for both the MAcc and MBA programs.
What will you be able to do at the end of your four years?
Among many other things, you will learn to write a business plan, make an effective business presentation, do some serious research, and run a simulated company, using the skills you have acquired in marketing, finance, and human resources. By the end of your degree, you will have the tools to work for any company or run your own small business.
3-Year Accelerated BSBA– Finish your Business degree in three years!
Motivated students, with assistance from their advisors, devise a three-year degree plan that:
- Takes advantage of SJC’s flexible online course offerings year round; and
- Adapts to any internship or employment commitments.
4 + 1 Accelerated MBA Degree – Fast track into the Master of Business Administration online program.
- Begin taking graduate courses in your Junior year;
- Benefit from the flexibility of online course options at any time;
- Choose from carefully selected concentration options; and
- Apply credits earned to graduate degree program immediately following final semester of undergraduate program, or at a later date.
Courses in the business administration major provide students with a core base of knowledge in business theory, skills, and applications. Choose from one of seven specializations.
The major in accounting prepares graduates to pursue professional certifications. Students majoring in accounting study financial statements, cost accounting, taxes, auditing, and financial analysis.
Business and Sport Management
Business and sport management provides students with preparation for future careers in either a business or sports environment. It places a strong emphasis on business administration/management and a sports focus in athletic and recreation management/sport event planning. For students with a deep interest in sports, this integrated specialization provides a solid background in business yet helps prepare them for managing professional sports teams and sports-related venues, both small and large.
With the major in finance, students gain a deeper understanding of finance through the same business simulation software Fortune 500 companies use to train their managers. The curriculum focuses on entrepreneurial and ethical sustainability in the study of finance, with an equal focus on all stakeholders including employees, customers, community, government, and stockholders.
Human Resource Management
SJC is a SHRM aligned program.
The major in human resource management prepares students for careers in recruiting and employment, compensation, benefits, training, and labor relations, while focusing on how organizations can better manage their human resources to perform more effectively. Students will study recruitment and staffing, training, management and employee development, employment and union-management relations, wage and salary management, evaluation of employee performance, national and international human resource policies and programs, as well as organizational behavior, development, and leadership.
The human resource management track reflects on the business partner model that the best HR professionals have a broad base of business skills, allowing them to function as business partners within an organization. This major combines accounting, management, marketing, economics, business law, and ethics courses with a strong internship program and the required human resource courses. The track fully aligns with Society for Human Resource Management’s (SHRM) HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates.
Courses in the international business major are taught by faculty with experience in cross-cultural management and global businesses. Students learn how to incorporate technology into business, and are put in direct contact with foreign mentors in both international management and marketing.
The major in management prepares graduates to pursue careers in business, industry, government, or for graduate study.
The major in marketing builds on the core curriculum in business administration, combining business theory, skills, and applications. This program teaches collaboration through team projects, as well as an immersive, hands-on educational experience with real-world partnerships with local companies and small classes.
Business Administration Minor
A minor in business administration is available and requires students to take 20 credit hours.